I am currently classified as an out-of-state student, but I am enrolling in the National Guard or Reserves and will make Pennsylvania my home of record. Do I now qualify for in-state tuition?

National Guard and Reserves are not considered active duty military. If a student is an out-of-state student for purposes of tuition, the classification will not change upon joining the National Guard or Reserves, even if the home of record for the military is Pennsylvania.

Active duty for training, such as the two-week annual training or specialist school, would not qualify a student as having served in active duty. However, if a student in the National Guard or Reserves is called into active duty, with a home of record of Pennsylvania, and is later discharged into Pennsylvania, the student would be considered an in-state student for purposes of tuition upon re-enrollment at Penn State.

Form DD214 would need to be submitted to show the home of record upon discharge. See: http://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/dd-214.html.