FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions

In this page you will find answers to the Bursar's most frequently asked questions by students and families. You can click on the "Category" drop down menu below or type a keyword in the "Search FAQ" box, then click on "Apply Filters" to see the results. You can also scroll down to view all FAQs.

If the answer to your question is not listed here, please submit a Contact Us form. A Bursar representative will respond as soon as possible.

Keyword Search
Use the filter to refine the FAQ results.
Change of Address

General Questions

Students can update their personal information, including their home address, online at https://accounts.psu.edu


General Questions

Authorized Payers can reset a password by following the steps below:

  • Navigate to public.lionpath.psu.edu and click "Login" in the Authorized Payer section.
  • Enter your authorized user ID and click on "Forgot Password"
  • Enter the email address associated with your Authorized Payer access, and click "Continue"
  • Your user name, a temporary password, and a link to log in will be emailed to you. When you log in, you will be prompted to change your password.
  • If you are unsuccessful, your student will need to reset your Authorized Payer password.

Steps for students to reset the Authorized Payer password:

  • Log in to your Student Home Base in LionPATH
  • Click on "My Finances" on top of the page
  • Select “Manage My Account/ Make A Payment” to get to your Student Account Dashboard
  • Once on your Student Account Dashboard, click on your name, and then in the “Payers” section of the page, click on the pencil icon next to the name of the Authorized Payer
  • You will see the Authorized Payer name and email address, and payer access. Verify that the email address is correct.
  • Click "Resend payer invitation" to generate a new email invitation with a temporary password

Penn State issues monthly student account statements. Your student account statement reflects the  anticipated aid information that is available at the time of billing.

To view up-to-date anticipated aid, follow these steps:

  1. Log in to your Student Home Base in LionPATH
  2. Click on "My Finances" on top of the page
  3. Select "Manage My Account/Make A Payment" to go to your Student Account Dashboard
  4. Click on "Activity Details" on the left side menu to view each anticipated aid source 

Once a student account statement is issued it is static. Any activity occurring after the student account statement is issued will appear on the "Account Details" and will be listed on the next student account statement.

Please note: the awarding and disbursement of financial aid is managed by the Office of Student Aid. To submit an email inquiry to the Office of Student Aid, go to: https://studentaid.psu.edu/resources/contact-us

If you haven't paid your balance for a prior semester follow these steps to view the balance you owe:

  1. Log in to your Student Home Base in LionPATH
  2. Click on “My Finances” on top of the page
  3. Select “Manage My Account/ Make A Payment” to get to your Student Account Dashboard
  4. Click on the link  "Make Payment" to view the balance you owe

Federal regulations state that financial aid for a future semester cannot be used to pay a prior semester balance. Even if you are expecting a refund for spring semester, you need to pay the outstanding prior balance from the prior semester.

To view your prior semester balance owed, log in to your Student Account Dashboard by following these steps:

  1. Log in to your Student Home Base in LionPATH
  2. Click on “My Finances” on top of the page
  3. Select “Manage My Account/ Make A Payment” to get to your Student Account Dashboard
  4. Click on the "Make a Payment" link

If you have more than one student at Penn State, regardless of campus, you can easily link your students' accounts. However, each student will need to create a separate Payer Invitation for you, and you will receive separate temporary passwords for each student.

We recommend that you log in to each student account separately prior to linking the accounts. To link multiple student accounts:

  1. Make sure that your pop-up blockers are disabled. LionPATH uses pop-up functionality
  2. Go to https://public.lionpath.psu.edu/, then select "Authorized Payer Access".
  3. Click on the "Authorized Payer Login" button, then use your Authorized Payer User ID and password provided for one of your student's accounts.
  4. Once on the Student Account Dashboard scroll down the page and click on “Link to another student”
  5. Enter the “User name” and “Password” that you use to sign into another student’s account and click “Continue”
  6. You will see a pop-up message that you have successfully linked another student
  7. When you want to view, add, or remove another student, select the pencil icon to the right of the student’s name on the overview page. 


The Greek Membership Fee provides enhanced support to the University's Greek-letter community.  The fee for IFC or Panhellenic chapter members is $90 per semester. For Multicultural Greek Council or National Pan-Hellenic Council members, the fee is $30 per semester. Students will see the fee listed on their account statement every semester that they continue membership in a Greek organization. If you who have questions about the fee, please contact the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life at 814-863-8065 or [email protected].

For more information, click here.

The Board of Trustees approves the tuition rates and mandatory fees for the academic year in mid-July.  The Office of the Bursar issues the first fall semester billing the first week of August. The due date is indicated on the billing statement. Students and Authorized Payers will receive an email when the student account billing statement is ready to view/pay.

For more information go to: https://bursar.psu.edu/tuition-due-dates.  

The link to enroll in the Installment Payment Plan will be available once the first billing statement of the semester is issued (January for spring, May for summer, and August for fall). The student and any authorized payers on the account will receive an email when the statement is ready to view/pay. 

Once the link to enroll in the Installment Payment Plan is available, you can follow these steps:


  1. Log in to your Student Home Base in LionPATH
  2. Click on "My Finances" on top of the page
  3. Select "Manage My Account/Make A Payment" to get to your Student Account Dashboard
  4. Click on “Payment Plans” on the left side menu and click on “View payment plan options”
  5. Follow the instructions to enroll in the Installment Payment Plan

If you are unable to access the Student Account Dashboard through the link “Manage My Account/Make A Payment” in LionPATH, please make sure your pop-up blockers have been disabled.


Authorized Payers:

  1. Log in to the Student Account
  2. Once on the Student Account Dashboard, click on the “Payment Plans” on the left side menu and click on “View payment plan options”.

For more information regarding the Installment Payment Plan, please go to: https://bursar.psu.edu/payment-options


The student account statement is prepared with the billing and financial aid information available at the time the statement is prepared. For questions about the status of a graduate assistantship/fellowship, please contact your department. 

Yes, you can still use Flywire to make your payment. Make sure to include the loan borrower as the sender in this case. After making your payment request, you will be provided with a disbursement or authorization letter along with the bank instructions from your Flywire dashboard. The authorization letter will demonstrate that Flywire is acting as the only and official authorized international payment processor and the end recipient of your payment is your institution. You should provide your bank with both documents in order to complete the bank transfer.

For additional information, please go to: https://www.flywire.com/support/india/

International students and students in the College of Medicine are required to have adequate health insurance coverage while enrolled at Penn State. These students must provide proof of health insurance coverage that meets certain criteria or purchase the Penn State Student Health Insurance Plan (“SHIP”).

Please note, Penn State has adjusted the billing process for international students for 2019. Beginning in fall 2019, international students will see their insurance premium added to their student bursar account.

If you have any questions about Penn State SHIP, please contact the Student Health Insurance Office at [email protected] or by phone at 814-865-7467, option 1.

For additional information about health insurance requirements and the Penn State SHIP, including rates and deadlines go to: https://studentaffairs.psu.edu/health-wellness/health-insurance 

We understand that in some situations two people would like to split the balance for a single student and each be on an installment payment plan to do so. However, our system is designed to accommodate only one payment plan per student per semester. Either the student or an Authorized Payer on the student account can sign up for the Installment Payment Plan each semester. 

For more information about Penn State's Installment Payment Plan, please go to: https://bursar.psu.edu/payment-options#Installment%20Payment%20Plan  

Our office enters awards as promptly as possible and in the order received. Please monitor your student account frequently.  Your student account and billing statement will reflect the award once the funds have been received and processed by our office. Due to heavy volume during the months of July, August, November, and December, it can take a few weeks for the award to appear on your billing statement. The earlier you submit checks, the more likely your award will be reflected on your initial tuition bill.  Please note that external awards do not appear as anticipated aid.

Please go to https://bursar.psu.edu/external-awards for additional information on external awards.

University Health Services (UHS) submits patients' bills to their insurance companies. If UHS is in-network with your plan, UHS will accept what your insurance company pays and only charge you for co-pays, co-insurance, and deductibles. If your insurance company does not cover a service, you may be liable for that portion of the bill also.  If UHS is out-of-network with your insurance company you may be responsible for the entire amount of the bill.

 Please note, the date of the charge on the student account is not the same date when the service was received. The date on the student account is when the UHS charge posted to the student account after the health service received has gone through the billing process indicated above with an insurance company, and/or when the charge is posted to the student account by UHS. To view details on the services received and the exact date, log in to view/print your bill from myUHS at: https://studentaffairs.psu.edu/health/myuhs

 Based on confidentiality of student records, the Office of the Bursar has no specific information about student health service charges. If you have a question about health service charges, please call University Health Services at 814-865-3465, option 3.

 For more information on billing of medical services, please go to: https://studentaffairs.psu.edu/health-wellness/healthcare-and-medical-services/policies-patient-resources/billing-medical-services

All registered students who attend PSU are eligible to purchase books at a PSU bookstore/PSU Bookstore online** and have the option to add the bookstore charges to their Penn State student account. Your Penn State ID is required at the time of purchase.

** Penn State World Campus students can purchase course materials at any PSU bookstore and add the charges to their PSU student account. Please note, purchases made at MBS Direct/Barnes and Noble will continue to be paid at the point of sale, rather than via the student's PSU student account. Penn State World Campus students may purchase course materials from MBS Direct/Barnes and Noble or from other vendors. For more information, please visit the Penn State World Campus student website.

For additional information, please go to: https://www.bursar.psu.edu/psu-bookstore-purchases

Yes, please click on the "Contact" link at the top of this page to send an e-mail message. Our staff will respond to inquiries as soon as possible.

Student Account Statements are issued every month and are typically due on the 22nd of every month (except for the first statement of the semester, please review your statement for the due date). No paper statements will be mailed. Students and Authorized Payers will receive an email when the statement is ready to view and pay.

Charges billed and unpaid by the due date will be subject to a late fee of 1.5%. There will also be a negative service indicator (hold) placed on the student account preventing enrollment in future courses, release of transcripts, and delivery of the diploma (if graduating) until the past due balance is paid.  Please be advised that payments made online via LionPATH (students) or CASHNet (Authorized Payers) are posted immediately to the student account. Mailed payments may take up to 7-10 business days to be received and posted to the student account. 


About eStatement

If you are planning on using Pennsylvania 529 GSP funds, please follow the steps below:

Student Instructions

  1. After you receive an e-mail notification that your billing statement is available, log in to your Student Home Base in LionPATH
  2. Click on "My Finances" on top of the page
  3. Select "Manage My Account/Make A Payment" to get to your Student Account Dashboard
  4. Select "Statements" on the left side menu
  5. Click “Save” to download and save a PDF copy of the Billing Statement for the account owner to submit with the Payment Authorization Form(PAF)or with an online qualified withdrawal.

The PA 529 GSP payment, as well as any additional personal payment being made by other means, must be received by the statement due date in order to avoid any late fees.

Account owner instructions

  1. Complete the Payment Authorization Form (PAF) provided by PA 529 GSP or access your account online at www.pa529.com to print a PAF or complete a qualified withdrawal online.
  2. If completing a qualified withdrawal online, upload an electronic copy of the billing statement(see #4 above).
  3. If completing a paper PAF, mail or fax both the PAF and the copy of the billing statement to PA 529 GSP.

PA 529 Guaranteed Savings Plan
Processing Center
PO Box 55463
Boston, MA 02205
Fax: 617-559-2452

Please note: Penn State cannot request funds from a PA 529 GSP account on behalf of the account owner. Therefore, please DO NOT mail your PAF to Penn State.

PA 529 GSP mails PAFs in July or early August for the fall semester and in October for the spring semester. Summer PAFs are provided upon individual request. Additionally, a PAF can be obtained online at www.pa529.com or by calling 1-800-440-4000.

An e-mail message will be sent to the student's official University e-mail account when the Student Account Statement is available to view and/or pay on LionPATH.

If you are a current Penn State student, information can be found on the Account Services Web site at https://security.psu.edu/services/penn-state-accts/


There is no charge to pay by eCheck. There is a 2%  convenience fee for each payment made by credit card.

Billing/Payment Problems

Online payments will be reflected immediately on your student account. However, it may take 1-7 business days before they are reflected in your bank account.

Please allow 7-10 business days for your payment to be received and posted to the student account.  We receive an extremely high volume of payments at the start of the semester. Additional processing time can be expected during this time. Please monitor your student account. 

If the check has cleared your bank account, please fax a copy of the front and back of your check to 814-865-2979. Please include the PSU ID and name of the student.

As a reminder, payments made online are posted immediately to the student account.

eStatement Payment and Payment Options

Yes, you will be assessed a $25 fee for each returned item. As a security measure, a failed payment attempt or attempts will result on the system placing an irrevocable negative service indicator on your student account, which will prevent you from using eCheck/check as payment option for the duration of your studies at Penn State. Penn State reserves the right to cancel a future semester enrollment due to a returned payment on the student account.

  • Fast and convenient method of making payments.
  • Payments are immediately reflected on the Student Account Statement.
  • Money-saving process - you no longer need to write checks or pay for stamps to send a payment in the mail.

Payments can be made by electronic check (eCheck), credit card (a 2% convenience fee applies), or paper check. Payments made online by eCheck or credit card are immediately posted to the student account. Mailed payments can take between 5 and 10 days to be received and processed.  Cash payments are discouraged. Do not mail cash.

Click here to see available payment options.

Yes, click here to see details about Penn State's Installment Payment Plan.

You are not required to pay by credit card. You can pay by eCheck (no charge), paper check, or money order. University Park does not accept cash payments. For security reasons, Penn State discourages cash payments. 

To view a payment you made to your student account, follow these steps:


  1. Log in to your Student Home Base in LionPATH
  2. Click on “My Finances”  on top of the page
  3. Select “Manage My Account/ Make A Payment” to get to your Student Account Dashboard
  4. Click on “Activity Details” on the left side menu to see recent account activity since the prior billing statement
  5. If you made a payment online, click on “Transactions” on the left side menu to see a list of payments

Authorized Payers:

  1. Log in to the Student Account
  2. Click on “Activity Details” on the left side menu to see recent account activity since the prior billing statement
  3. If you made a payment online, click on “Transactions” on the left side menu to see a list of payments

Yes, you can make a partial payment to your student account, but if the total balance due is not paid by the due date, a 1.5% late fee will be assessed on the total balance due. Click here to all payment options. 

We encourage you to pay online with an eCheck. Online payments are posted to the student account immediately. However, if you want to mail your payment please follow these instructions:

 If mailing a check or money order, print a remittance stub from LionPATH and mail it with your check or money order made payable to Penn State to:

Office of the Bursar
103 Shields Building
University Park, PA 16802
*Please include your PSU ID on your check or money order.
Please allow 5-10 days for your mailed payment to be received and posted to the student account.


Please be advised, there are no due date extensions in LionPATH. If the payment is not received by the due date, you will be assessed a 1.5% late fee on the total outstanding balance due, as well as have a financial hold (negative service indicator) placed on your Student Account. This will restrict you from enrolling in future classes. Please be advised that it may take up to 7-10 business days for payments mailed to be received and posted to the student account.  However, payments made online are automatically posted to the student account.

Penn State made the decision to charge a 2% convenience fee to fairly distribute the costs of accepting online credit card payments to the users. These costs include the maintenance of secure payment servers, software, online user interface, integration costs and ongoing maintenance fees.  By charging this fee, these additional costs are being assessed to the users of this service, not to all Penn State students.  To avoid the fee, students and authorized payers can make payments by eCheck, check, or money order.

The Bursar's office uses secure web pages when displaying and collecting credit card information. All references to a credit card transaction are done using your Order ID number. Secure Socket Layer (SSL) software is used to provide data encryption of your personal information such as password and credit card number.

University Park does not accept cash payments. For security reasons, Penn State does not recommend to make cash payments. Commonwealth Campus students may pay with cash by visiting the Bursar/Finance office at their campus. Do not mail cash.

These instructions are for all 529 programs except the Pennsylvania Guaranteed Savings Plan. If you have a Pennsylvania Guaranteed Savings Plan 529, please see "How do I claim a PA 529 Guaranteed Savings Plan tuition payment?"

Student Instructions

  1. After you receive an e-mail notification that your billing statement is available, log in to your Student Home Base in LionPATH
  2. Click on "My Finances" on top of the page
  3. Select "Manage My Account/Make A Payment"
  4. Select "View" or "Download" in the "Your Statements" section.
  5. Print a copy of the billing statement to submit to your 529 plan if necessary. Print any additional copies of the billing statement if needed.

The 529 payment, as well as any additional personal payment being made by other means, must be received by the statement due date in order to avoid any late fees.

Penn State cannot request funds from a 529 plan on behalf of the account owner/student, Therefore, please DO NOT mail your Payment Authorization Form (PAF) or PAF copies to Penn State.

If you have a Texas Tomorrow, Michigan Education Trust (MET), College Illinois!, South Carolina Tuition Prepayment Program (SCTPP), Kentucky’s Affordable Prepaid Tuition (KAPT), or Alabama Prepaid Affordable College Tuition Program (PACT) plan, please select the "Contact Us" link to let us know about your expected 529 payment amount.

Your 529 payment(s) can be mailed to:

Penn State University
Office of the Bursar
103 Shields Building
University Park, PA 16802

This mailing address is also listed on your tuition bill as well as on our website at Bursar.psu.edu. Please include your Penn State Student ID number and your full name with your 529 payment(s).


Yes, Penn State accepts Visa, MasterCard, Discover, and American Express. There is a 2% convenience fee for each credit card online payment. We cannot accept credit cards by mail, phone, or in person. All payments are done online via LionPATH.

You can see other payment options available in our website.

This information can be found at the bottom of your paper check. You can view a sample check to see where to find these numbers.

We highly recommend that you contact your financial institution if you do not have a paper check or cannot locate this information. 

Financial Aid

General Questions

If you are interested in student aid, contact the Office of Student Aid or the student aid representative at your Penn State Campus.

Your Student Aid Summary is available in LionPATH. The Student Aid Summary  allows you to view your financial aid information for each semester of the academic year. To access it, follow these steps:

  1. Log in to your Student Home Base in LionPATH
  2. Click on "My Finances" on top of the page
  3. Click on" Financial Aid" on the left navigation menu 
  4. Click on "Financial Aid Award" and select the year you wish you see

Any action required will be listed on your Student Aid Checklist. We encourage you to check your Student Aid Summary often for any updates.

The Master Promissory Note for the Federal Direct Stafford Loan can be completed online or by contacting the Office of Student Aid. Information for completing this online is available at: https://studentaid.psu.edu/tutorials/how-to-sign-loan-mpn 


Federal Regulations require the completion of a Loan Entrance Counseling Session prior to the disbursement of your student loan(s). Entrance counseling provides information that will help you understand your rights and responsibilities as a loan borrower, as well as other tools to assist you with managing your loans.

A hold is placed until the Loan Entrance Counseling is complete. Please go to the Office of Student Aid website for additional information. 

In most cases, you will only need to complete entrance counseling once during your degree.

To complete the entrance counseling requirement:

Click on "Complete Aid Process" at studentaid.gov and select "Complete Entrance Counseling"

Choose your loan type, then log in with your FSA I.D.

Select the school name "PENNSYLVANIA STATE UNIVERSITY (THE)", and whether you are completing the entrance counseling as an "undergraduate" or "graduate/professional" student

Progress through the counseling tool until you complete all sections

The Office of Student Aid will be notified within 3-5 business days after you complete entrance counseling.

The University allows departments to assess other educationally related charges to your student account in order to consolidate billing. Some of these charges might include parking permit fees, health center charges, library fees and other miscellaneous charges. Federal Title IV financial aid funds will not automatically pay other educationally related charges; however, if you are a recipient of Federal aid funds, you may voluntarily give the University permission to pay these other educationally related charges from your federal aid funds. Please note, per federal regulations there are some fees that cannot be paid with Federal Title IV financial aid funds, even if you provide authorization in writing, such as, late registration fee, add/drop fee, service fee, installment payment plan fee, late fees, return item fee, and stop payment fee. To authorize Federal aid funds please follow these steps:

  1. Students will need to log in to their Student Home Base in LionPATH
  2. Click on "My Finances" on top of the page
  3. Click on "Permission to Use Federal Aid"
  4. Click on "Grant Permission"
  5. Follow instructions to submit request

You have the right to rescind your approval by contacting the Bursar's Office. If you rescind your approval, you will not be able to grant permission again for the same semester.


Federal Direct Stafford Loans

Your record has been selected for a process called Verification. You will need to provide some additional information to the Office of Student Aid (or the Office of Veterans Affairs) BEFORE your loan can be credited to your student account. Please review your Student Aid Summary on LionPATH for additional information. If you have further questions, please contact the Office of Student Aid at http://studentaid.psu.edu.

Federal Direct Stafford Loans

Your record indicates that you attended another school other than Penn State. Federal Regulations require you to provide a Financial Aid Transcript (FAT) from each institution BEFORE your loan can be credited to your student account. To determine the school(s) that must provide an FAT to Penn State, please contact the Office of Student Aid http://studentaid.psu.edu.


The first step in being considered for financial assistance is to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The FAFSA application is available at http://www.studentaid.gov 

If you need assistance completing the FAFSA, contact the Office of Student Aid at the Penn State campus nearest you.


Please visit the Office of Student Aid Web site at http://studentaid.psu.edu/types-of-aid/grants for a list of available grants.

Perkins/University Loans

To make a payment please go to our partner's (ECSI) system at https://heartland.ecsi.net and log into the web-site as follows:

  • Click on the "Sign In or Register" button at the top of the page and enter your EasyPath Profile username and password.
  • If you do not have an EasyPath Profile username or password, complete the registration process and your Heartland Key (located on prior correspondence such as a billing statement) to connect to the account to your profile.
  • If you have not received your Heartland Key through prior correspondence, you should contact Heartland ECSI Customer Service at https://heartland.ecsi.net/index.main.html#/contactus or call 1-888-549-3274.
  • Once connected, you will be redirected to your account.
  • Click on "Account Tools".
  • Available information will include but not limited to making one time or automatic online payments.

If you prefer not to pay online, our office accepts various forms of payment which include personal checks, bank checks, certified checks, and money orders.

Checks and money orders should be made payable to Penn State. Include the appropriate portion of your billing statement with your check and remit to the following address:

The Pennsylvania State University
108 Shields Building
University Park, PA 16802-1222

A payment-free period during which no principal or interest accrues.

Your loan is from a revolving fund, which means that as you repay your loan(s), Penn State is able to lend funds to other students.

NO. You may prepay your loan(s) without being charged penalty fees.

Perkins/University Loans

YES. It is your responsibility to notify Student Financial Services if you change your name, address and/or telephone number. Regardless of other departments within the University that you may notify, you must also notify this office at:

Pennsylvania State University
Office of the Bursar
Attn.: SFS
109 Shields Building
University Park, PA 16802
Fax: 814-865-6535

A deferment is a payment-free period during which principal and interest do not accrue. You can find Deferment information, forms and instructions in our website. Click here to go to the Deferments section.

YES. You must complete exit counseling with Student Financial Services during your last semester of enrollment at Penn State as at least a half-time student. To defer your loan payment(s) while enrolled at another institution, click here. Deferment information, forms and instructions will guide you through the deferment process.

A loan consolidation combines your federally funded student loans into a single loan. The new loan reduces your number of payments to worry about each month while also reducing your payment amount with a longer repayment period. Further information concerning consolidations is provided in our website. Click here to go to this section in our website.

If you are interested in loan consolidation, contact your Federal Direct Loan Servicer to see if you are eligible for consolidation. Additional information concerning student loan consolidations and the application process is provided at the Federal Direct Consolidation Loans Information Center or by telephone at 1-800-557-7392.

The following actions may occur on a loan in default;

  • Assessment of a $5.00 per month fee.
  • Placement of a hold on your academic records that may cause transcripts to be withheld* and future registration denied.
  • Delinquency reported to a national credit bureau. Credit ratings remain on the Credit Bureau records for approximately seven years following the date of first delinquency. Delinquencies may affect your ability to obtain future loans and employment.
  • Ineligibility for future Title IV financial aid until the loan is out of default.
  • Placement of the loan with a licensed collection agency. Collection fees charged by the agency can be up to 30% of your loan balance if placed with a collection agency for the first time or 40% for subsequent collection efforts and/or litigation.
*Residents of certain states outside of Pennsylvania may be able to obtain a transcript release for limited purposes under their state's laws. To request a transcript release based on state of residence, contact LS&[email protected].

If you have a Federal Perkins/University/Primary Care student loan(s), Federal Regulations and school policy require students who are no longer enrolled, or enrolled less than half-time, complete student loan exit counseling. Through this exit counseling, you will be informed of your rights and responsibilities regarding your student loans. Exit interviews provide a complete explanation of repayment, deferment and cancellation privileges.

If you are graduating or your enrollment falls below half-time status, you will receive an e-mail invitation to conduct an Online Exit Interview Session at https://heartland.ecsi.net.

If you withdraw or are enrolled less than half-time and do not receive an email invitation to complete exit counseling, please contact Student Financial Services using the Contact Us form in our website and an invitation with instructions will be emailed to you. Paper exit counseling packets are available upon request. Please note, transcript and registration holds will be placed if exit counseling is not completed.

Upon expiration of the grace period, your student loan(s) will enter repayment and begin to accrue interest. Your loan(s) will initially be billed monthly. If you prefer a quarterly repayment plan, contact us at 814-865-6528, option 5.

Only students with loans receive loan statements from Heartland ECSI. Statements are issued on the 10th of each month by Heartland ECSI and payment is due by the first of the following month (example: loan statement generated on July 10th, will be due August 1st). Paper statements are mailed to the address on file, unless you enroll in E-bill to receive your statements electronically. Please note, Authorized Payers (with access to Penn State's student accounts) do not have access to loan information.


The recipient of a University Scholarship is selected by Penn State.

An Outside Scholarship or External Award is a scholarship that is awarded by an organization not affiliated with Penn State (i.e. professional organizations, clubs, high schools, etc.) and the awarding organization selects the recipient.

Please mail or fax a copy of the award letter to:

Student Financial Services
Attn: External Awards
109 Shields Building
University Park, PA 16802
Fax: 814-865-6535

It is suggested that the award letter include the scholarship name, award amount, time period of award (i.e. fall semester, spring semester, academic year, etc.), any enrollment requirements (i.e. full-time or degree seeking), student's name and Penn State ID number.

Any information missing from the award letter may be added by the student.

If the student also receives Federal or State Financial Aid, the University will determine if the student's total aid package falls within the ranges specified by Federal and State Regulations.

If the student's total aid is not within the mandated range, the Federal and/or State aid will be reduced accordingly.

Please note, the awarding and disbursement of financial aid is managed by the Office of Student Aid.


Outside scholarships are available to students who are willing to take the time to look for them. Outside scholarships are awarded for many different reasons. The qualifications may be a specific major, a geographical area, or a special talent.

There are many sources for outside scholarships. The Office of Student Aid provides a starting point: http://studentaid.psu.edu/types-of-aid/scholarships.

Most application deadlines are in the spring, so it is best to begin searching for a scholarship(s) in December, January or February, before the upcoming academic year. Scholarships awarded in the spring (March through June) are for the upcoming school year.

Students must keep in mind that each organization handles their scholarships differently, but here are some general guidelines:

  • Scholarship funds are disbursed into students' accounts when the funds are received.
  • If the student is given the money directly, University Park students should take the check to the Office of the Bursar, 103 Shields Building.
  • Students attending another Penn State location should take the scholarship check to the Business or Finance Office at their campus.
  • If the check is mailed directly to Penn State and is made payable only to Penn State, the money will be disbursed into the student's account.
  • If the check is made payable to both Penn State and the student, the student will be notified by e-mail go to the Bursar/Finance Office to endorse the check. Once the check has been endorsed, the funds will be disbursed into the student's account.

Funds are disbursed at the beginning of the enrollment period or approximately three to five working days after they are received, whichever is later. Keep in mind that a student must be registered and in compliance with all regulations associated with the scholarship before disbursement will occur.

Awards will be applied to the current semester unless otherwise specified by the scholarship sponsor.


General Questions

University Health Services is now participating with outside insurances. We request that you provide UHS with your insurance information prior to or at your first visit. Please check with your insurance company to verify coverage for UHS services.

Please click HERE for more information.

We recommend that you contact the Office of Student Insurance: http://studentaffairs.psu.edu/health/

Meal Plans

General Questions

For questions about meal plans, please contact the Assignment Office. For LionCash+ inquiries, please contact id+Office.


General Questions

Penn State will refund a credit balance on the student account. Students should sign up for eRefund, which is a direct deposit of their refund to their bank of their choice. eRefund is only available to students at this time.

To enroll in eRefund follow these steps: 

  1. Login to your Student Home Base in LionPATH.
  2. Click on "My Finances" on top of the page
  3. Select “Manage My Account/ Make A Payment” to go to your Student Account Dashboard
  4. Scroll down the overview page and click on “Sign up” at “Sign up for direct deposit refunds!”
  5. Agree to the electronic Student Refund Authorization Agreement, and click “Continue”
  6. Complete the information requested

After an eRefund has been generated by Penn State to your financial institution, the process may take up to 3-5 business days before it will appear as a credit in your account. Please refer to your financial institution's policy concerning the availability of these funds.

For the quickest delivery of refunds, students should enroll in eRefund.

The Federal Direct PLUS funds are applied to the student's tuition and fees first, and then the student's other financial aid funds are applied. Typically, the PLUS funds are used in full, and the student's other financial aid causes the credit amount on the student's account. If there are excess funds from other financial aid (non-PLUS aid), they are refunded to the student directly. Occasionally, excess funds are the result of a Parent PLUS Loan. If there are excess funds from a Parent PLUS Loan, it is refunded directly to the borrower.

When all University charges have been satisfied and the financial aid creates an overpayment, the student is entitled to a refund. Refunds can be electronically deposited into their bank account by signing up for eRefund.

When a payment is received by personal check, a 14-day hold is placed on your Student Account to ensure the check has cleared the bank. Once this time period has past, we will refund the credit balance via direct deposit to your bank account (eRefund) or via a paper check.

There could be several reasons why your refund has not been processed. Here are some possible reasons:

  1. If a payment was made by personal check, a refund will not be processed for 14 days from receipt of that payment.
  2. If you are signed up for eRefund, the account information provided may be incorrect. If this is the case, you will receive an email notification.
  3. Paper refund checks are only printed and mailed once weekly. We strongly recommend signing up for eRefund for faster receipt of any future refunds. 
  4. You have not "accepted" your loans/financial aid in LionPATH.
  5. Your financial aid has not disbursed into your account. The Office of Student Aid is responsible for disbursing your financial aid. 

General Questions

Yes. Residency for tuition purposes is a policy of Penn State. While you may meet the requirements to become a registered voter or a licensed driver, you still may not qualify for residency for tuition purposes.

Beginning with the summer 2015 session, all eligible veterans and dependents receiving Chapter 33, Chapter 35 or Fry Scholarship benefits will be eligible for in-state tuition regardless of residency. Residency will be reclassified once the veteran or dependent is certified by the School Certifying Official.

"GI Bill®” is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).  More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at www.benefits.va.gov/gibill

Generally, unless a student has 12 months of continuous residence in the state prior to enrollment, the student is considered a non-resident.

The 12-month requirement cannot be met while attending Penn State - the student is assumed to be in the Commonwealth for educational purposes.

Although the student might be considered a resident of the Commonwealth, the student would remain as a non-resident for tuition purposes, unless there was clear evidence that the student's circumstances had changed and that a permanent, independent domicile in Pennsylvania has been established.

Beginning with the summer 2015 session, if you are a veteran and you are not using GI Bill® benefits, please contact your campus Certifying Official to determine requirements to establish eligibility for the in-state rate. A list of Certifying Officials can be found at http://equity.psu.edu/veterans/pdf/certifying-officials-list.

"GI Bill®” is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).  More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at www.benefits.va.gov/gibill


Residents of Washington DC will be classified as out-of-state residents for tuition purposes.

These students may be eligible for the DC Tuition Assistance Program (DC TAG). This program allows the student to attend any public institution in the nation and pay the in-state tuition rate. The grant will pay the difference between the in-state and out-of-state tuition rate and is considered a source of financial aid. The DC TAG program is subject to certain maximum dollar limitations.

DC TAG program details can be found at: http://osse.dc.gov/service/dctag-get-funding-college.

No. The alumni status of a student's parents does not determine his/her residency status. To review Penn State's Residency Policy, click here.

Possibly. If the biological parent of a student is a Pennsylvania resident, the student would be considered a resident for tuition purposes, provided that supporting documentation is provided with a residency review

No. Residency status will depend on consideration of the factors identified in the policy in order to determine whether the student has established a permanent, independent domicile in the Commonwealth. Unless the relative is a legal court-appointed guardian of the student, the relative's residency status does not impact the decision. The same applies to living with family friends who are residents of the Commonwealth.

Possibly. A student who changes his/her place of residence from Pennsylvania to another state is required to give prompt written notice of this change to the University and shall be considered for reclassification effective with the date of such change. The written notice should be provided to the Residency Officer, 103 Shields Building, University Park, PA 16802.

If a student has maintained continuous residence in the Commonwealth for other than educational purposes for a period of at least 12 months immediately prior to his/her initial enrollment at The Pennsylvania State University and, the student continues to maintain such separate residence, the residency of the parents generally does not come into play.

If the student remains in the Commonwealth and graduates from a Pennsylvania high school, it may be possible to be considered a resident for tuition purposes, depending on the circumstances of the case.

However, if the student relocates with the parents out of the state, and does not have 12 months of residency for non-educational reasons prior to enrollment at Penn State, the student would most likely be classified as a non-resident. There is no "banking" of prior time in the Commonwealth - the residency requirements relate to the 12 months preceding enrollment at the University.

Military personnel and their dependents who are assigned to an active duty station in Pennsylvania and who reside in Pennsylvania can be classified as residents for tuition purposes.

A student should submit a cover letter, a copy of the service member's orders, and a copy of his/her parent's deed or lease as documentation.

Any member of the armed forces who was a resident of Pennsylvania immediately preceding entry into the service and who has continuously maintained Pennsylvania as his/her domicile is presumed to have a Pennsylvania domicile.

A student should submit a cover letter in addition to documentation of the service member's home of record.

National Guard and Reserves are not considered active duty military. If a student is an out-of-state student for purposes of tuition, the classification will not change upon joining the National Guard or Reserves, even if the home of record for the military is Pennsylvania.

Active duty for training, such as the two-week annual training or specialist school, would not qualify a student as having served in active duty. However, if a student in the National Guard or Reserves is called into active duty, with a home of record of Pennsylvania, and is later discharged into Pennsylvania, the student would be considered an in-state student for purposes of tuition upon re-enrollment at Penn State.

Form DD214 would need to be submitted to show the home of record upon discharge. See: http://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/dd-214.html.

No. You must be a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident immigrant with a green card or I-551 passport stamp to be considered for residency for tuition purposes. If you have some extraordinary circumstances you would like considered, you may contact the Residency Officer for your campus.

A student has until the last day of the effective semester to file his/her petition with the Residency Officer.

Any reclassification would be effective at the beginning of the semester or session during which the appeal was filed or at the beginning of the following semester or session at the discretion of the person or committee rendering the decision on reclassification.

Yes. Refund requests should be directed to the Bursar's office at your campus location. Use the Contact Us form in our website.

Yes. A written request should be made to the University Appeals Committee on Residence Classification. You may submit additional documentation with your request for appeal, but the Committee will get a copy of your residency case file from the Residency Officer, so there is no need to resend any information previously submitted.

The student is notified in writing of the Committee's decision.

If you wish to be present at the Committee meeting, please indicate this in your letter, so that you may be notified of the meeting time and date. It is not necessary to attend the meeting in person, but if you do attend, you will have the opportunity to verbally present your reasons for believing you should be granted in-state residency. A decision is NOT made while you are present. PLEASE NOTE: ONLY THE STUDENT MAY MEET WITH THE COMMITTEE. Parents, other parties, advocates or representatives are not permitted to attend.

This committee meets every other month. Therefore, if your initial petition is denied, it is advantageous to submit the petition for appeal as soon as possible

Please refer to the Residency Review section on our website for information and details on the required documentation. Once the residency review documentation has been received, the student will receive an email confirmation sent to the student’s Penn State email address.

For purposes of determining residency status, a guardian must be an individual who has been appointed by the United States court system (i.e., court-appointed guardian). Guardianship can only be established through court order, and the student must prove that any change in guardianship is not for in-state tuition purposes, and that their guardian's presence within the state is not primarily for the purposes of education. The student must submit a copy of the file-stamped court decree appointing their guardian(s) if the student is using the guardian(s) to establish residency status.

Please note that a person other than a parent who claims the student as a dependent for income tax purposes is not considered the student's guardian solely due to that tax claim. Notarized letters, signed Affidavits, claims of guardianship under Pennsylvania school code, guardianship documentation from foreign courts, and Power of Attorney paperwork are also insufficient to establish guardianship.

Except in extremely limited circumstances, there will be no exceptions to how guardianship is established.

Please refer to the Residency Policy and Review on our website for an overview of the process.  

Once the residency review documentation has been received, the student will receive an email confirmation sent to the student’s Penn State email address.


The Admissions office determines a student's residency status based on the information provided on each student's application.

Domicile is a person's existing and intended fixed, permanent, and principal place of residence.

Please click here for a list of potential documentary evidence.

Accompanying other documentary evidence, a student should submit a copy of his/her parent(s)' Federal tax return or a notarized statement from them indicating they are not providing the student's support or claiming the student as a dependent for tax reasons.

Students receiving financial aid should be classified as independent for financial aid purposes.

In addition, if the parents have taken out loans to support the student's education (such as Federal Direct PLUS loans), the student would not be considered independent, unless compelling evidence to the contrary is presented.

The student should be prepared to show that he/she has sufficient means to support him/herself.

No. Ownership of real estate or payment of real estate taxes in Pennsylvania does not necessarily qualify a student for residency for tuition purposes.

Residency is based on a person's domicile (a person's existing and intended fixed, permanent and principal place of residence).

Unless your parent(s) live in the home and pay PA state taxes as resident(s) of the state, ownership of real estate does not qualify a student for residency.

Not necessarily. Marriage to a resident of the Commonwealth is just one factor considered in the decision regarding residency. The larger factor would be the establishment of an independent, permanent domicile in the Commonwealth.

Tax Credits

General Questions

Qualified payments for calculating tax credits/deductions include the following:

  • Personal earnings
  • Personal savings
  • Loans
  • Gifts
  • Inheritance

Ineligible payments for calculating tax credits/deductions:

  • Grants
  • Scholarships
  • Tax-free distributions from an Education IRA
  • Tax-free employer provided educational assistance
  • Other forms of financial aid (which you are not required to repay)

An eligible dependent is a person for whom you can claim a dependency exemption.

This generally includes your unmarried child who is under the age of 19 or who is a full-time student under the age of 24, if you supply more than half the child's support for the year.

The American Opportunity and Lifetime Learning tax credits result in a reduction of the annual federal income tax owed by the taxpayer(s) who claim the student as their dependent.

This tax credit may lead to a refund of previously paid federal income tax.

Please refer to https://www.irs.gov/individuals/qualified-ed-expenses. Penn State cannot provide individual tax advice, you should consult your tax advisor with any tax questions.

CURRENT STUDENTS:  Log into your Student Home Base in LionPATH, click on "My Finances", and select "Manage My Account/Make A Payment".


AUTHORIZED PAYERS:  Go to https://public.lionpath.psu.edu/ and select Authorized Payer Access.


Once logged in, the Form 1098-T is located in the “Tax Forms” section of the Student Account Dashboard, which contains your most recent form.  Select View or Save to see a printable version.


FORMER STUDENTS: you can access your Tax Form by logging to your student account in LionPATH with your PSU Access ID (i.e. "xyz123") and password.  Go to www.lionpath.psu.edu. If you do not remember your PSU Access ID or password, use the “Forgot my User ID”, or “Forgot my password” links. Once logged, click on "My Finances", and select "Manage My Account/Make A Payment". The 1098-T section is located on the “Tax Forms” section of the Student Account Dashboard.

Not in all situations. The amount of the tax credit that you may claim will depend on your individual situation. The Internal Revenue Service provides instructions on the application of the 1098-T information and eligibility requirements for the tax credits.

Please consult your tax preparer/consultant to determine how the American Opportunity and Lifetime Learning tax credits and the Deduction for Educational Expenses may apply to you or affect you.

Penn State is required by the United States Internal Revenue Service (IRS) to report payments received for qualified tuition and related expenses for the tax year ending on December 31 of the preceding calendar year. The Form 1098-T is the tax document used to report these payments. Students who file income taxes in the United States can use the Form 1098-T as an informational tax document used to determine eligibility for income tax credits.  

 In previous years Penn State only issued Form 1098-T to international students who requested it. Starting with reporting year 2019, Penn State began issuing a Form 1098-T for all students, including international students who may or may not be eligible to receive an education tax benefit, or who may not file taxes in the United States. 
Penn State cannot determine which international students are residents for tax purposes and cannot provide personal tax advice to students. It is each student’s responsibility to determine if they should file taxes and/or if they are eligible for a tax credit. 

Per the Directorate of International Student & Scholar Advising (DISSA):  Each year in late February, DISSA sends information on access to tax software for international students in F or J status who are determined to be “non-residents for tax purposes.” In general, anyone entering the U.S. in F or J student status are exempt from the substantial presence test for 5 years, meaning they are non-residents for tax purposes in the first 5 years.  In the 6th year, students must determine their tax status by completing the substantial presence test.  For tax year 2020, you are a non-resident for tax purposes if you entered the United States in F or J student status on or after January 1, 2015; you are a ‘resident for tax purposes’ if you entered the U.S. on December 31, 2014, or earlier.

 For more information, please refer to the Internal Revenue Service’s website at: https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/determining-alien-tax-status or consult your personal tax adviser. 

If you are a current student, the Form 1098-T will populate to your Student Account Dashboard. To view/print it, follow these steps: 

  1. Log in to your Student Home Base in LionPATH 
  2. Click on "My Finances" on top of the page 
  3. Select “Manage My Account/Make a Payment” to get to your Student Account Dashboard 
  4. Click on “Tax Forms” on the left side menu to view or download and save/print your most recent form.

You may have received nontaxable grants or scholarships, tax-free distributions from an Education IRA, or tax-free employer provided educational assistance that may need to be deducted from qualified expenses to calculate the credit amount.

Generally, the credit/deduction is available only for payments of qualified tuition and related expenses that cover an academic period beginning in the same calendar year in which the payment was made. An exception, however, allows the taxpayer to claim a tax credit/deduction for payment of qualified tuition and related expenses made during the tax year for the academic period January, February, and March of the following year. Consult your tax preparer/consultant for tax return preparation advice.

Penn State's federal tax ID number is 24-6000376.

General Questions

Transcripts may be obtained from the Office of the University Registrar: https://www.registrar.psu.edu/transcripts/official-transcripts.cfm


General Questions

The Student Fee (Student Initiated Fee) combines the previous Student Activities Fee and Student Facilities Fee. The Student Fee supports student-centered activities, services, facilities and recreation to improve student life and is the result of a student-led initiative to be more involved in the creation and allocation of student fees. The Student Fee is calculated in the same way as the previously separate fees, based on the campus and the number of credits in which a student is enrolled. The Student Fee is mandatory, just as the previous fees. Adding credits on or after the first day of the semester could result in a corresponding increase of the fee. Dropping credits on or after the first day of the semester may not reduce the fee charged. For questions regarding the Student Fee, go to www.studentfee.psu.edu

Information Technology Fee:

An Information Technology Fee is charged to all undergraduate and graduate students at all campus locations.

EFFECTIVE SPRING 2020: Penn State will eliminate the Information Technology Fee as a separate line item on the student bill and instead incorporate the fee as part of the tuition rate. This action has not impacted overall cost. Click here for more information.

The IT fee supports digital services such as internet access, e-mail, security, help services, software, computer labs, library resources, and wireless networks. Even if the student is not physically studying on campus, their e-mail account is still active and they have full access to the internet and other services. This is a mandatory fee.



Penn State does not provide tuition discounts for families if two or more children attend.

If you need assistance with the cost of education at Penn State, please visit the financial aid office for your campus:

University Park


Directory of Financial Aid Offices at All Campuses


When the student has completed 59.1 or more course credits. All advanced placement or transfer credits placed on the Penn State transcript will count towards the total number of credits a student has accumulated, even if some of those credits do not meet the course requirements for graduation.  

Please be advised that a student’s tuition will increase when the Penn State transcript reflects 59.1 total credits. If the credits you are transferring or have transferred place you above 59.1 credits after the start of the semester, your tuition will increase immediately. You will receive a bill for the additional tuition in the first week of the following month.

Instructional costs are determined by who teaches the course, by the number of students enrolled in the course, and by the subject being taught. Upper division and graduate courses are smaller in size and taught by senior faculty. These courses involve more specialized instruction within the student's major.

Yes, any student that audits a course is subject to pay the appropriate tuition and fees.

Your credits must be reduced to less than full-time (12 credits) before any adjustment is considered. The effective date of the drop, in conjunction with the length of the course, determines if an adjustment is due. For more information about tuition adjustments, please review the Tuition Adjustment Policy.

Students who withdraw will receive a tuition adjustment in accordance with Penn State’s Tuition Adjustment Policy. Students who are granted a retroactive withdrawal will be responsible for 100% of tuition due. Students who withdraw from a semester due to medical reasons can petition the Bursar's office for a possible one-time waiver of tuition. Petitions will only be accepted up to one calendar year after the end of the academic semester in which the medical circumstance(s) prevented the student from completing the semester. For example, if a student withdrew from a spring semester, the petition would be accepted up to the last day of the following spring semester. For instructions on the petition process, please submit a Contact Us form.  A Bursar representative will respond as soon as possible.

Students at the Harrisburg campus, please contact the Harrisburg's Bursar's office for information on the required documentation and submission of the one-time waiver of tuition petition at (717) 948-6009, or by email at [email protected].




Yes, eligible spouses and dependent children up to the age of 26 are eligible to receive a tuition discount of 75% of the Pennsylvania in-state tuition cost, as outlined in Policy HR37.  Penn State Human Resources now offers a fully automated tuition discount process for eligible spouses and dependent children beginning with the fall 2021 semester.  The only action required is to ensure that your dependents’ Social Security Number is entered into Workday AND that the dependent has entered their Social Security Number at accounts.psu.edu.   For additional information visit: https://hr.psu.edu/benefits/educational-privileges

Once all the information is processed by the Employee Benefits office, the staff discount will appear on your student account. The 75% deduction will only be applied to the tuition. The staff discount cannot be applied to room and board charges, and Student Fee (Student Initiated Fee).

Grant-in-aid will NOT be applied retroactively to previous semesters. If you have additional questions, please contact the Employee Benefits office at 814-865-1473.

World Campus students who take courses through other Penn State campuses will be assessed the Student Fee. The Student Fee is a non-refundable fee charged according to the total number of credits in which the student is enrolled immediately prior to the first day of the semester. Adding credits on or after the first day of the semester could result in a corresponding increase of the fees. Dropping credits on or after the first day of the semester will not reduce the fees charged.

Other Fees - Not charged through the student account

Sponsored students are defined as those students with full or partial funding support from a foreign government, corporation, or nonprofit organization.

To offset additional institutional costs for services required by sponsoring organizations, all sponsoring organizations will be assessed a $300 per semester fee during the fall and spring semesters, and a per semester fee of $150 during summer, for each sponsored undergraduate and graduate student enrolled at Penn State.

For additional information on the services provided to sponsoring organizations by Penn State, please click HERE.