The Student Account Statement can be paid by any of the following methods:
Paying with an eCheck is a fast and convenient method to pay the tuition
Tuition can be paid online with an eCheck (electronic check) by logging in to LionPATH (Students) or the Student Account (Authorized Payers). Penn State has contracted with CASHNet to securely process online eCheck payments. Payments with an eCheck must be made from a personal checking account drawn on a US bank. An eCheck payment will appear on your monthly bank statement as PENN STATE UNIV PAYMENT. There is no fee to pay by eCheck.
IMPORTANT: A bank debit card or credit card will NOT work when making eCheck payments. Your bank account number is not the same number that appears on your debit card. Only checks from regular checking accounts at U.S. domestic banks (including most credit unions) work for eCheck payments. Be sure to copy the routing/transit and account numbers very carefully from your check. If you are unsure as to whether or not your check can be used or what routing/transit and account numbers to enter, call your bank and ask them if your account can be used for ACH (Automated Clearing House), and verify the correct numbers you should use before you try to make your payment on CASHNet.
** If you enter incorrect values, have insufficient funds, or, if you attempt to use a check that is not from a regular U.S. domestic bank checking account, CASHNet will return the transaction. All returned checking and savings payments are subject to a $25 returned item fee. After 2 failed attempts at processing an eCheck, the system places an irrevocable negative service indicator on your account, which will prevent you from using eCheck as payment for the duration of your studies at Penn State.**
Tuition can be paid online by credit card
Payments by credit card can be made online by logging in to LionPATH (Students) or the Student Account (Authorized Payers). Penn State has contracted with CASHNet to securely process online credit card payments. We cannot accept credit card payments via mail, phone, or in person. There is a 2% Service Fee for each payment made by credit card.
- American Express
We accept check or money order payments by mail
If mailing a check or money order, print the Student Account Statement's remittance stub and mail it with your check or money order made payable to Penn State to:
- PLEASE ALLOW 5 BUSINESS DAYS FOR PAYMENT TO BE PROCESSED AFTER IT IS RECEIVED
- Flywire is the only method of payment and only option for sending international wire payments to Penn State.
- For security reasons, Penn State does not provide its bank information to payers to send direct wire transfers. Please submit payments via Flywire. ***
- Flywire (PeerTransfer Education Corporation (d/b/a Flywire)) has been Penn State's partner since 2012.
- Flywire offers payment methods for every country aside from U.S. Government Sanctioned countries.
- Flywire saves students/families a significant amount of money compared to traditional banks by offering excellent foreign exchange rates and in most cases payments can be made in the student’s home currency.
- Students/families can track a payment from the moment it is initiated until it posts to the student account.
- Multilingual customer support is available 24/7:
- By Phone: 1-800-346-9252, 1-617-207-7076
- By email to: [email protected]
To pay your tuition via Flywire log in to your Student Account in LionPATH and follow these steps:
- Click on "My Finances" on top of the page
- Select "Manage My Account/Make A Payment" to get to your Student Account Dashboard
- Click on "Make a Payment"
- Enter the amount you wish you pay and click on "Checkout"
- Select "International Payment" and click on "Continue". From here, you will be redirected to Flywire to complete your payment.
The benefits of paying through Flywire
- Eliminate hidden bank fees - ensure Penn State receives the correct amount.
- Save on exchange rates. Flywire has a best price guarantee. If a bank is offering a better rate, Flywire will match that rate and provide the payer a $25 gift card.
- Pay in your own currency (in most cases) - you can make a payment in your home currency.
- Peace of mind - payment tracking and 24x7 multilingual customer support.
- For questions concerning Flywire call: 1-800-346-9252, 1-617-207-7076, or send an email to: [email protected]
- For more information on how Flywire works, visit www.flywire.com/how-it-works/
- Now you can make your Flywire payment and monitor its status right from your phone! Download the new app from the iTunes Store or Google Play store.
Enroll in the Installment Payment Plan every semester
Penn State offers an Installment Payment Plan every semester, which allows you to pay your tuition in installments over four months in fall and spring and three months in summer.
Number of Payments
- Four (4) installment payments over four (4) months in fall and spring
- Three (3) installment payments over three (3) months in summer
- A $45 non-refundable administrative fee applies every semester you choose to enroll in the Installment Payment Plan.
- To use this method of payment you need to enroll in Penn State's Installment Payment plan every semester.
Installment Payment Plan Due Dates
- 1st Installment Payment Due on August 31st
- 2nd Installment Payment Due on September 22nd
- 3rd Installment Payment Due on October 22nd
- 4th Installment Payment Due on November 22nd
- 1st Installment Payment Due on January 22nd
- 2nd Installment Payment Due on February 22nd
- 3rd Installment Payment Due on March 22nd
- 4th Installment Payment Due on April 22nd
- 1st Installment Payment Due on May 22nd
- 2nd Installment Payment Due on June 22nd
- 3rd Installment Payment Due on July 22nd
IMPORTANT: The last day to enroll with 25% of the balance due in fall and spring, and 1/3 of the balance due in summer is the first Installment Payment Due Date.
Additional Fees $45 non-refundable enrollment fee - Covers all administrative costs. Restrictions
- Enrollment in the Installment Payment Plan can only be completed online after logging in to the Student Account.
- The Installment Payment Plan is designed to accommodate only one payment plan per student per semester. Either the student or an Authorized Payer on the student account can sign up for the Installment Payment Plan each semester.
- The first payment is calculated on the balance due after all student aid has been reflected on the semester bill. No form of student aid (including External Awards, i.e., outside scholarships) can be used to satisfy the required installment payment.
- Students/Authorized Payers enrolling in the Installment Payment Plan must pay with either a credit card or an eCheck using a checking US bank account and agree to sign up for auto-deduction for the remaining installments.
- IMPORTANT: Non-compliance with the Installment Payment Plan Agreement (non-payment, returned payments, etc.) will result in the removal from the Installment Payment Plan, which will restrict the ability to continue to enroll in the Installment Payment Plan for future semesters.
Who can enroll?
Any student/Authorized Payer can enroll in the Installment Payment Plan.
When do you enroll?
- Enrolling in the Installment Payment Plan every semester is easy. Once the first Student Account Statement for a semester is available (August for fall, January for spring, and May for summer), students and Authorized Payers will see a link to enroll in the Installment Payment Plan on the Student Account.
- Students who enroll in classes after the first Student Account Statement for the semester is issued can enroll in the Installment Payment Plan if the link to enroll in the Installment Payment Plan appears on their Student Account.
- To use this method of payment you need to enroll in Penn State's Installment Payment plan EVERY semester.
- To enroll with 25% of the balance in fall and spring, or1/3 of the balance in summer, please make sure to complete the enrollment process and make your first installment payment prior to the first installment payment due date.
- Enrolling after the first installment payment due date, will require 50% of the balance due in fall and spring, and 2/3 of the balance due in summer, in addition to the $45 enrollment fee by the second installment due date.
What payment methods are accepted to enroll?
- To enroll in the Installment Payment Plan, students/Authorized Payers must pay using either an eCheck or a Credit Card (a 2% service fee applies to all credit card payments).
- Students/Authorized Payers must agree to sign up for auto-deduction for the remaining installments. Enrollment cannot be completed unless a payment method for the remaining installments is specified.
- Please note: the Installment Payment Plan payment amounts will be adjusted, accordingly, if changes made to the semester class schedule (add/drops) result in an increase or decrease in the total amount due.
Yes - Once signed up, you will receive notification of your subsequent installments in advance of their due dates.
Late Payments/Negative Service Indicators Payment not received by the due date will result in a negative service indicator (financial hold) being placed on the account. Negative service indicators have multiple implications including not being able to register for a course/future semester, not being able to purchase transcripts, and if graduating a hold on receiving your diploma. Failure to make a payment by the due date may also result in the suspension of your Installment Payment Plan and the assessment of a 1.5% late fee on the total outstanding balance.