The tuition bill payment will be refunded in full if you cancel your registration prior to attending classes and do not incur other university charges.
If registration has been completed and you subsequently withdraw or drop to part-time, the refund will be made according to Penn State's Tuition Adjustment Schedule.
Beginning with the first day of classes, students that drop below full-time or drop below their originally registered credit level may be assessed a tuition penalty. Adjustments for tuition will be determined on the effective date of the drop. Any adjustment of charges will be made according to Penn State's Tuition Adjustment Schedule.
Refund of Excess Financial Aid
Penn State will refund the credit balance which is the result of Federal financial aid in a student's account within TWO weeks of either the date the aid was credited to the student's account or the first day of the semester, whichever is later.
For the quickest delivery of this refund, students should sign up for RAPID REFUND through eLion.
- Go to eLion
- Select "Students"
- Login with User ID and Access Account password
- Select "Refund Information" from the menu
- Click on "Sign up for Rapid Refund" and enter your bank account information
Refund by Mail
Students may also choose to have their refund mailed to a permanent or local address. Refunds that are delivered by mail will be delayed. For students who do not indicate a refund preference, refunds will be mailed to the permanent address at a later time.
Federal Direct Parent PLUS Borrowers
How Loans are Applied to Student Accounts
The Federal Direct Parent PLUS funds are applied to the student's tuition and fees first, and then the student's other financial aid funds are applied.
How Refunds are Handled
Excess funds will be refunded to the student directly, either by Rapid Refund or paper check. Rapid Refund will directly deposit the funds to the bank account specified by the student. A paper check (made payable to the student) will be sent to the student's permanent address.
A refund will be issued to the student if:
- The student has financial aid that exceeds his or her tuition and fees.
- The parent has submitted an ACH Authorization Agreement to have his or her refund from the Federal Direct Parent PLUS loan issued to the student.
- The student has signed up for Rapid Refund and 14-days have passed since a personal check payment (paper or eCheck) has been posted to the student's account.
A refund will be given to the parent if:
- The amount of the Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loan is greater than the student's tuition and fees.
- 14-days have passed since a personal check payment (paper or eCheck) has been posted to the student's account and the amount of the Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loan is greater than the semester charges.
If you have a credit balance on your Bursar Account, and you made a credit card payment within the last 45 days, the credit card will be refunded up to the amount of the payment first. Then, any remaining credit balance will be refunded through direct deposit (ACH) or paper check.