The tuition bill payment will be refunded in full if you cancel your registration prior to attending classes and do not incur other University charges.
If you register for course(s) and subsequently withdraw or drop to part-time, the refund will be made according to Penn State's Tuition Adjustment Schedule.
Beginning the second week of classes, students that drop below full-time or drop below their originally registered credit level may not receives a tuition refund. Adjustments for tuition will be determined on the effective date of the drop. Any adjustment of charges will be made according to Penn State's Tuition Adjustment Schedule.
Refund of Excess Financial Aid
Penn State will refund the credit balance which is the result of Federal financial aid in a student's account within TWO weeks of either the date the aid was credited to the student's account or the first day of the semester, whichever is later.
eRefund is a fast and convenient way to receive your student refund. To enroll in eRefund:
- Log in to LionPATH
- Click on "Manage my Account/Make a Payment"
- Select "Click to enroll in eRefund"
- Complete the requested information
After an eRefund has been generated by Penn State to your financial institution, the process may take up to 3-5 business days before it will appear as a credit in your account. Please refer to your financial institution's policy concerning the availability of these funds.
Refund by Mail
Students may also choose to have their refund mailed to a permanent or local address. Refunds that are delivered by mail will be delayed. For students who do not indicate a refund preference, refunds will be mailed to the permanent address at a later time.
It is the student's responsibility to keep his/her local and permanent addresses up-to-date in LionPATH.
Federal Direct Parent PLUS Borrowers
How Loans are Applied to Student Accounts
The Federal Direct Parent PLUS funds are applied to the student's tuition and fees first, and then the student's other financial aid funds are applied.
A refund will be issued to the student if:
- The student has financial aid that exceeds his or her tuition and fees.
- The parent has submitted an ACH Authorization Agreement to have his or her refund from the Federal Direct Parent PLUS loan issued to the student.
- The student has signed up for Rapid Refund and 14-days have passed since a personal check payment (paper or eCheck) has been posted to the student's account.
A refund will be given to the parent if:
- The amount of the Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loan is greater than the student's tuition and fees.
- 14-days have passed since a personal check payment (paper or eCheck) has been posted to the student's account and the amount of the Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loan is greater than the semester charges.
If you have a credit balance on your Bursar Account, and you made a credit card payment within the last 45 days, the credit card will be refunded up to the amount of the payment first. Then, any remaining credit balance will be refunded through direct deposit (ACH) or paper check.