Skip Logos, Search and Top Navigation
Skip Top Navigation

Financial Aid

Financing Your Penn State Education

A Penn State education is an investment in your future. We understand that this investment will stretch the financial capabilities of many families and do our best to assist you in meeting the necessary expenses.

Below is an overview of the types of financial assistance available. For further details on each of these programs, please visit the Office of Student Aid. A good resource for getting started is the Financing Strategies for Your Education page.

Applying for Student Aid

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA on the Web) serves as the single application for financial aid at Penn State. Applicants will be considered for federal, state, and University student financial aid programs including:

  • Grants
    Grants, unlike loans, do not have to be repaid
  • Penn State Scholarships
    Internal University Scholarships
  • Federal Perkins Loans
    Low, fixed-interest loan for students (undergraduate/graduate) with high financial need
  • University Loans
    Low, fixed-interest loan for students (undergraduate) with high financial need
  • Federal Direct Stafford Loans
    Subsidized and unsubsidized Option
  • Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loans
    Direct Lending Program from the U.S. Department of Education (Parent & Graduate Student Options)
  • Alternative Loans
    Private, non-federal education loans

Outside Scholarships

Outside scholarships are offered by a broad variety of organizations, agencies, and donors to students who demonstrate scholastic merit or meet specific criteria.

Visit Student Financial Services for information regarding how to notify our office of an award that you have received from an outside organization.

Visit the Office of Student Aid Outside Scholarship Page for general information and tips on how to find and apply for Outside Scholarships.

Federal Work-Study Programs

Work-Study allows you to earn money to cover a portion of your educational expenses by working on campus or for an off-campus, nonprofit organization.

Visit the Office of Student Aid Federal Work-Study Page for further information.

Adult Learners

Additional financial aid options exist for returning adult learners. Visit the Office of Student Aid Adult Students Page for further information.

Office of Student Aid

Your source for learning about:

  • Applying for Aid
  • Work-Study Programs
  • Grants
  • Loans
  • Scholarships
  • Other Financial Resources

Student Financial Services

Student Financial Services is responsible for student aid disbursements including loans, grants, 529 payments, as well as University and Outside Scholarships.

Our office also disburses, maintains, and collects Federal Perkins Loans and University Loans.

Our office is NOT responsible for awarding loans, scholarships, or other forms of student aid - please visit the Office of Student Aid.

Click on the link below for more detailed information regarding the programs our office administers.